9/12/11

Celebrating 50 Years!

I don't care how poor a man is, if he has family, he's rich. ~Dan Wilcox

It doesn't matter the family chemistry you currently have, you all began with a parent of sorts!
I've talked times before about my parents and how wonderful they are. Don't get me wrong, they aren't without faults of course, as we all are, but as far as parents go, we are blessed, or lucky maybe?
My parents were married September 8th, 1951. My mom had dreams of a large family. That apparently did scare my dad at all. They were blessed (or cursed ;)) with 10 children. They have lived in many homes, and each one, creating a loving, caring, safe environment for their children. They endured a heartbreaking loss, a young son taken way too early. As a parent now, you understand the amount of loss you must feel when a child's life is lost. My heart seizes thinking about anything happening to mine. I was only 5. I don't remember a lot, but I remember the strength that they both portrayed. They were able to surround the remaining children with love and comfort.
They are blessed with 29 grandkids and 2 great-grandkids, that they absolutely love and do so, so much for! After 51 years, they continue to love unconditionally, support emotionally, and care physically for their children and their offspring. They are fantastic, and over Labor Day weekend, we were fortunate as a family unit, to celebrate my parents being married FIFTY YEARS!! What an awesome accomplishment in this day. My siblings were able to travel great distances and show my parents their love and gratitude for all they have done for us. It was a great weekend. I love my siblings. I love their kids! We may not have always gotten along, we definately all have differences, but we all love furiously, and we all care about the well-being of each our siblings!
My mom hates attention. She hates parties ;) But we pretty much forced her to stand by and let us plan an open house for them to celebrate with their community, their family, both immediate, extended, and adopted! It was rewarding to see their friends in the community come show their support and love for them as a couple. We even had them cut a cake, which I'm sure my mom was totally embarrassed by! But don't worry, it wasn't saved 51 years!
Photos from older decades always seem so distinguised to me :)



These are my moms sisters Judy and Debbie. They traveled from Oregon and Washington to be here for the celebration. My Aunt Louisa passed away earlier this year, so I think it was special for my mom to have them celebrate and remember.



You can see the love radiating from them :)

These are one of their missionaries parents who drove from SLC to show their support

Someone is lovin' him some cake!


Saturday, we all met at Steadmans. what a fun little place. Basically farmers turned their acreage into a playground for others to enjoy! There were a few water slides, a zip line, shooting area, play area, and we ended it with a bang with the candy cannon! It was super fun and the kids all had a BLAST! Ok, and most of the adults did too! We only had 2 minor skin splitting events, good food, good company, and good sun.

My mom was insisting she do the zip line...THANKFULLY she didn't let that crazy talk come to play! However, my 2 Aunts gave it a whirl.



Andrew had the best seat in the house




Ella surfin' on Uncle Gary


Let's see, combined age on these 4 tubes....geez, over 260 ;) They were crazy. They went down several times and each time they were getting ready to push off, my heart was racing!! Old people are crazy!


Reagan just LOVES her cousins. That's important to me. We didn't grow up around cousins. We had a HUGE neighborhood where we thought we were related to everyone, but you always knew you weren't really part of that unity. But we are so lucky to be in close proximity, or at least driving distances and willingness on the parts of my siblings, to get our children together to enjoy bonds and create memories. I remember being 8 or 10 and being in "love" with one of my cousins ;) Reagan has attached herself to a few of my "older" nephews at times. They are always great about it and let her hang all over them and control them for a few days!! Thanks Bart and Bear!


Some tried shooting. Check out my dad's form! And, no, I didn't hit a thing.



Pretty nifty little invention. Stuff a ton of candy into a "canon" and watch it fly. Kids went running and had plenty to rot their teeth!


When the fun was done, we went back to The Barn (a gathering place next to my sisters house), had dinner,and got a sitter for the younger kids so the "adults" could share in memories, love, and appreciation for each other. Sunday we went to my parents sacrament and had lunch at the park. I think I can speak for my siblings and say it was definately worth the travel, and time out of our personal lives to share in this special time in my parents lives. Afterall, we start, and end...with Family.

1 comment:

McDermaid Fam said...

Ah. Why do your posts always make me cry? I just always love reading your blog. That is such a long time t spend with someone. 50 years, wow... I thoought 8 seemed long. Lol. Congrats to them and all that they have been through. I never knew you lost a sibling. You will have to tell me that story sometime. What a great family you have. Can we join? ; )