11/5/13

A Legacy

I don't think my parents have to worry much about what type of Legacies they leave behind.  Although, I would imagine that your kids are your most important legacies, but, there are other legacies you can leave behind.  Legacies of lessons taught, or sacrifices shown.  My parents will one day have great legacies they leave.  Things they have taught to their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.  Examples of the way they lived or the way they tried to show us to live.  Those will hopefully live in future generations as well.

Currently, my parents have been in Durban, South Africa for just a few short weeks.  Sometimes, in the middle of the day, I find myself reaching for my phone to text my mom and then get a little sad and maybe a little choked up:).  My 70something old mother who was a master at texting!  Even if I didn't talk to my parents on a daily basis, it's still hard to think I can't just pick up the phone to text or call.  While it's only been a few weeks, it also seems like it's been a while!  They will be gone for 18 months.  My kids will be almost 9 and 5 when they return.  It's not that far off....yet it's so far away!

I whole-heartedly support this sacrifice though. I think just seeing how much their faces changed in the week they were at the MTC.  Their face the day they were leaving.  Although it should have been nervous of the long travel time, leaving family, etc., their faces shone.  It was excitement to serve and ready to begin a little adventure together spreading their love and service throughout South Africa.  I was comforted by this fact.  What a great example to show your kids and grandkids.  To sacrifice the life and luxeries you know to be of service to someone else.  To leave behind those you love, but to touch the lives and learn to love new people.  I have no doubt that my parents will change many lives while living there.  Not even necessarily the "gospel" aspect of it, but because I know how much love they have to give.  It's never ending.  My family has been on the receiving end of that all our lives and it's selfish to keep that among us.  They've shown undying devotion and love.  You meet my parents and you meet wisdom, comfort, happiness, and unconditional love.  It doesn't matter who you are, and they will spread this across the great city of Durban and further.

All of my siblings were there for a final goodbye.  The grandkids all had fun, and I admit, I did too :)  Family is family, but they are also yours, for the rest of your life!




 
This is a bear my brother picked up from road kill! Hey, we live in Idaho right?

This tree is awesome.  It sits in my parents yard and for the past few years my kids have longingly gazed as bigger kids climbed up and played on it, but always still a little nervous.  This weekend Reagan was fearless - and made me nervous!! She would climb up as high as I would let her and just love it.



 Cousin Olivia came all the way from Arizona
 This makes me miss them so much! Kids won't fit on their laps when they get home ;)
 How cute are they!
 I love this picture :)

And off they go!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Wow! South Africa!!!! Your parents are freakin' amazing! :)